Location: Lenexa, KS
The HSE Specialist will assist in developing world class environmental, health and safety programs at the Ceva Biomune campus. The HSE Specialist position will be responsible for development of compliant environmental, health and safety programs at a vaccine manufacturing facility based in Lenexa, Kansas. This includes integration of environmental, health, and safety programs into daily operations to ensure compliance and continuous improvement.
Responsibilities and Key Duties
- Execute implementation of HS&E policies, procedures, and programs in compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations.
- Determining applicability of HS&E regulations
- Coordinate and deliver HS&E training and knowledge assessments as required.
- Participate in incident investigations related to identify root cause and assign appropriate corrective and preventative actions.
- Ensure compliance with record keeping requirements defined by regulatory agencies and internal company policy including maintenance of required HS&E plans for the facility
- Partner with operations and other support areas to develop compliant programs
- Assure completion of regulatory submissions, notifications, etc.
- Interact professionally with all levels of management while simultaneously managing a diversified workload and challenge.
- Participate in internal and external discussions and meetings with auditors, agencies, and consultants.
- Review processes, facilities, procedures and management of change documents to assure conformance with HS&E standards.
- Provide support to staff in completing analysis, self assessments and addressing specific concerns as raised.
- Perform risk assessments, monitoring, hazard analysis, and reviews and assist in implementation of controls.
- Identify unsafe equipment operation and conditions while demonstrating knowledge of appropriate corrective action for unsafe conditions.
- Assists in communicating HS&E performance and development of performance metrics.
- Provide leadership to action oriented Safety Committee
Core Competencies and Attitudinal Characteristics
- Must be able to work well under pressure with tight time-lines and multiple projects all at once
- Must be a self-starter and take initiative without a lot of direction or supervision, taking ownership to solving problems. Seeks self improvement.
- Must be able to work with many levels of authority, cross-functionally, up-down-across the hierarchy and cross-culturally
- Must be able to effectively prioritize work based on the business needs and current priorities
- Must be a team player
- Demonstrate an enthusiasm for building programs. Not discouraged by momentary failure. Does not make excuses. Focuses on the upside and what is within your control.
Technical / Functional Competencies
- Broad knowledge of Health, Safety, and Environmental laws and best practices
- Previous working experience in lean manufacturing.
- Experience in Root Cause Analysis methodology such as fishbone, FMEA, and 5 whys
- First Aid/CPR/Spill Response experience.
- Excellent computer skills in Google Docs and Microsoft Windows environments. This includes demonstrated skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and, preferably, Google Docs. Intermediate skill set desired in spreadsheet and database design and management.
Education – Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Environment, Health, and Safety, or any Scientific field
Work Experience – 3-5 yrs progressive experience in Health, Safety, and Environment in a manufacturing environment
Other – CIH, ASP, or CSP preferred, but not required
While performing the responsibilities of the HSE Specialist, the employee is required to walk, climb, talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers to handle, feel and manipulate keys on a keyboard. Often, the employee will be required to stand and walk to different areas of the site. The employee will need to be able to climb ladders and stairs frequently. This job will require close vision to be able to see a monitor, watch employees engaged in processes, and observe manufacturing operations. Some lifting of up to 30 pounds may be required.
Individual will be required to go into clean lab and manufacturing environments on occasions in which clothing changes and protective clothing and gear is required. This will include having to shower-in/shower-out. Both indoor and outdoor work is required with exposure to all potential weather conditions. This position will also need to handle hazardous waste and other chemicals if necessary.
This position may require some travel although very limited – no more than 5%.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, duties and responsibilities or working conditions associated with the job. This job description is not an employment contract. Ceva reserves the right to modify job duties and/or job descriptions at any time to meet the needs of the business.